Welcome to MILE Gifted Education
The mission of the Marietta City Schools’ Gifted Education program is to identify, challenge, support, and inspire gifted and talented students through differentiated learning opportunities designed to meet their unique academic, social, and emotional needs.
The purpose of gifted programming is to provide gifted education services to students who have the potential for exceptional academic achievement in grades K-12.
Marietta City Schools makes available for review by the public and the Georgia Department of Education, a copy of its administrative procedures for the operation of its gifted education program and gifted curriculum. For more information, contact Jill Sims, Executive Director, Student Learning and Teaching.
- Gifted students will develop advanced research skills and methods. Skills include organizing, asking higher order questions, planning, analyzing, data reporting and citing references properly.
- Gifted students will develop and practice creative thinking and problem-solving skills with a variety of complex topics within the area of study. Skills include flexibility, fluency, originality and elaboration in thought, divergent and convergent thinking, brainstorming, and risk taking.
- Gifted students will develop and practice critical thinking and logical problem solving skills in the pertinent academic area. Skills include predicting, inferring, questioning, defending decisions, evaluating and adjusting decisions, and developing intellectual empathy.
- Gifted students will develop advanced communication skills. Skills include presentation skills, debate, speeches, and the integration of multi-media and technology.
- Gifted students will develop an understanding of self and how their unique characteristics may influence interactions with others. Skills include group discussion skills, group dynamics, questioning skills, identifying varying perspectives, and selecting means of communication.
- Gifted students will further develop advanced technology skills as a resource in communication tools across the curriculum. Skills include researching, evaluating validity and reliability of internet resources, analyzing and collecting data, and using different tools to master technology.
For further information about Gifted Services, click on any of the links listed on the left navigation.