Both state and local mandates require student participation in a wide array of assessments. With the implementation of the new Georgia Performance Standards (GPS), Marietta City Schools will now administer GPS benchmark tests that directly correlate to the new standards.
What is a Benchmark Test?
A benchmark test assesses a student’s progress on a set of standards taught during a particular period of time. The achievement data resulting from the assessments assist teachers in evaluating instructional practices and increases their understanding of what content standards the students have mastered.
How does this affect your child?
Your child will undergo a benchmark assessment on a quarterly basis.
What else do you need to know?
- All Marietta City Schools students take the same assessments according to their respective grade levels.
- The content measured by these assessments is based upon core standards taught uniformly throughout the school system.
- The assessment results are used by teachers and the school system to evaluate instructional practices and to appropriately modify instructional decisions.
- Pre-test Benchmark assessment results are not averaged into a student’s report card grade.
- Benchmark assessments are only one of several instructional tools used to guide curricular decisions.
The purposes of the testing program include:
- Monitoring student progress
- As a decision-making tool regarding placement for special programming
- To assess program effectiveness
- As a planning tool for instructional improvement
In addition to the requirements noted below, several of the tests are utilized as part of the system's promotion/retention policy.
For more information about student achievement, accountability - including development of K-12 report cards - visit the Office of Education Accountability at www.gaosa.org.
Testing InformationGeorgia Department of Education - Assessment
- ACCESS for ELL's
- End Of Course Testing (EOCT)
- Georgia High School Graduation Test (GHSGT)
- Georgia Kindergarten Inventory of Developing Skills (GKIDS)
- Georgia Writing Assessments
The IOWA Assessment
Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT)