MCAA Application Procedures
Welcome to MCAA
The magnet program at the Marietta Center for Advanced Academics (MCAA) offers students an Innovative environment that focuses on collaboration, communication, critical thinking, and creativity. Through our STEAM challenges, we include a technology-driven curriculum that emphasizes science, technology, engineering, the arts, and mathematics. Students who reside in the Marietta City limits, as well as non-residents who meet admission/eligibility criteria, may apply to the magnet program.
Standardized Test Scores and Additional Components:
Students enrolling at MCAA will need 75/100 points based on the following requirements (A & B):
A. MAP scores (75% or higher in reading OR math) – (possible 25 points each) (50 total possible)
B. Additional Assessments (To take place in the Fall and Winter)
- Writing Sample (possible 25 points)
- STEAM Rubric (possible 25 points)
- Report Cards: Standard based Report Cards must have a meet/and or exceed on most standards. For all other report cards, applicants must have a 3.0 GPA average.
- Only current MCAA siblings will have priority.
- Once capacity is full, a waitlist will be created. There will be a separate in-district waitlist (having priority) and out-of-district waitlist.
- Report cards will be requested for in-district students attending a Marietta City School who apply. Out of district applicants must provide the most recent report card and a nationally normed standardized test score (e.g. ITBS, MAP, Iowa, Stanford-10, CAT), within one calendar year of the date of application submission.
Out of district:
- Contact school administration
Out of District Tuition Students:
- After the MCS February break, out-of-district qualifying tuition students will be offered enrollment spots.
- Current tuition is $1,500 for the school year. The Marietta Board of Education approves tuition rates in May of each year.
Registration of a student indicates that parents or guardians have accepted the responsibility to provide the necessary support, guidance and involvement to foster the best possible learning for each child. We expect parents and students to comply with the following expectations. These expectations provide the basis for the parent contract that must be signed upon acceptance to the magnet school.
In order to remain enrolled in the magnet program, students must maintain academic, behavioral, and attendance standards.
Academically, students must maintain a 3.0 (or higher) grade point average (GPA) in all subjects throughout the year. A student who does not maintain the academic performance criteria is placed on probation for one semester. Students who do not have a 3.0 GPA after two consecutive semesters must exit the magnet program and enroll at his/her zoned school.
A student that is not upholding behavioral standards is placed on a behavioral contract. The purpose of the contract is to provide further collaboration between the school and home in an effort to desist any negative student behaviors. After the contract period, a student that fails to meet the behavioral expectations must exit the magnet program and return to his/her zoned school.
Students are expected to attend school every day, to arrive promptly and remain throughout the scheduled hours. The parent agrees to schedule appointments outside school hours. Excessive absences and/or tardies will result in the student being placed on attendance probation for one semester and possibly exited from the program for excessive absences or tardies.