International Baccalaureate Primary Years AcademySawyer Road Elementary is officially an International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) World School. On December 14, 2007 our school became the 12th IB World School in Georgia, authorized to offer the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program (PYP) designed for students aged 3 to 12.
The PYP curricular framework educates the whole child and provides a comprehensive, inquiry-based approach to teaching and learning. While incorporating local, state, and national curriculum requirements as well as the arts and foreign language, the PYP reaches beyond minimum standards to provide a rich, rigorous education of habit and mind.
At Sawyer Road we develop student/citizens who are Knowledgeable, Caring, Principled, Risk-takers, Inquirers, Thinkers, Communicators, Reflective, Balanced, and Open-minded. The IB PYP calls for real world units of inquiry in all classes, grades K-5. Each unit brings Reading, Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies into an integrated learning experience for all our students.
- Uses a transdisciplinary approach to engage students in inquiry-based learning
- Provides a framework to unify and manage the state curriculum into a rigorous learning experience
- The international/global perspective includes foreign language instruction in grade 2-5
- Provides students a comprehensive, inquiry-based approach to teaching and learning
- IB PYP addresses the academic, social, physical, emotional and cultural needs of the child
- Educates children to thrive in a global environment
- World Class Education through Focused Exploration