Primary Years Program (authorized 2007) at Sawyer Road Elementary
For students aged 5 to 12, focuses on the development of the whole child as an inquirer, both in the classroom and in the world outside.
- IB Primary Years Program: K-5 at Sawyer Road Elementary
- IB Primary Years Program: K-5 at A.L. Burruss Elementary School
Middle Years Program (authorized 2008) at Marietta Sixth Grade Academy, Marietta Middle School, and Marietta High School
For students aged 11 to 16, MYP provides a framework of academic challenge that encourages students to embrace and understand the connections between traditional subjects and the real world, and become critical and reflective thinkers.
- IB Middle Years Program: 6th Grade at Marietta Sixth Grade Academy
- IB Middle Years Program: 7th and 8th Grades at Marietta Middle School
- IB Middle Years Program: 9th and 10th Grades at Marietta High School
- IB Middle Years Program Curriculum and FAQ
Diploma Program (authorized 1995) at Marietta High School
For students aged 16 to 19, the Diploma Program is an academically challenging and balanced program of education with final examinations that prepares students for success at university and in life beyond. The IB Diploma Program original purpose was to facilitate the international mobility of students, by providing schools with a curriculum and qualifications recognized by universities around the world.
IB Career-Related Program: 11th and 12th Grades at Marietta High School
The IB Career-Related Program (CP) is an innovative education framework for students ages 16-19 incorporating the vision and education principles of the IUB into a unique program specifically tailored for students who wish to engage in career-related learning. The aim of the CP is to provide students with both an academic and practical foundation to support both their further studies and specialized training, thereby ensuring their success in the workforce.
Marietta City Schools (MCS) is an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School district.
Marietta High School has been an IB World School since July 1995. It offers the IB Diploma Programme, a challenging two-year curriculum that leads to a qualification that is widely recognized by the world’s leading universities.
On December 14, 2007, Sawyer Road Elementary became one of 13 IB World Schools in Georgia authorized to offer the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program (PYP) designed for students aged 5 to 12. The PYP is one of three programs offered by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO).
On April 23, 2008, the school district became the first IB World School district in Georgia authorized to offer the IB Middle Years Program (MYP) for grades 6-10. With the addition of the IB Middle Years Program to the IB Primary Years Program (PYP) offered at Sawyer Road Elementary and the long-standing IB Diploma Program (DP) at Marietta High School, MCS is one of only a few school systems nationwide able to provide the full IB (K-12) continuum.
Implementation of the IB MYP in ninth grade began during the 2008-09 school year and tenth grade begins in 2009-2010. The 2008-2009 seventh-grade class will be the first group of MCS students to achieve the MYP Certificate level at the end of the tenth grade.
All three Programs:
- Have a strong international dimension
- Draw on content from educational cultures around the world
- Require study across a broad range of subjects
- Include both individual subjects and transdisciplinary areas
- Give special emphasis to learning languages
- Focus on developing the skills of learning
- Provide opportunities for individual and collaborative planning and research
- Encourage students to become responsible members of their community.
IB Programs include:
- A written curriculum or curriculum framework
- Student assessment appropriate to the age range
- Professional development and networking opportunities for teachers
- Support, authorization and Program evaluation for the school.
Mr. Jeffrey Mosley
Executive Director of Academic Programs
(IB, ESOL, EIP, Gifted, REM)
250 Howard Street
Marietta, GA 30060
Phone: (770) 422-3500, ext. 7228
International Baccalaureate Coordinator
Diploma and Middle Years Program
1171 Whitlock Ave.
Marietta, GA 30064
Phone: (770) 428-2631, ext. 5038