The eligibility requirements for gifted education services are set forth in Georgia Rule 160-4-2-.38. The school system is required to collect data on mental abilities, achievement, creativity, and motivation.
A student can qualify through Option A or Option B as follows:
Option A: Both criteria must be met for the following categories:
- Mental Abilities: Composite score of 99th percentile (K-2) or ≥ 96th percentile (3-12) by age on a standardized test of mental ability.
- Achievement: Score of ≥ 90th percentile (K-12) by grade on standardized test in Total Battery Total Reading or Total Math. Students are assessed in creativity and motivation, but evaluation data is not required to determine eligibility.
Option B: Three of four criteria must be met. Only one can be a rating scale.
- Mental Abilities: Component or composite score of ≥ 96th percentile (K-12) by age on a standardized test.
- Achievement: Score of ≥ 90th percentile (K-12) by grade on standardized test in Total Battery, Total Reading, or Total Math of mental ability.
- Creativity: Score of ≥ 90th percentile (K-12) total battery of a standardized test of creative thinking or ≥ 90th percentile (K-12) on a standardized creativity behavioral rating scale.
- Motivation: Score of ≥ 90th percentile (K-12) on a standardized motivational behavioral rating scale and/or a GPA ≥ 3.5 on a 4.0 scale (Grades 6-12) for two years