What is a Parent Mentor?
The Parent-Mentor Partnership is a parent-driven initiative supported by the Georgia Department of Education for Exceptional Students and Marietta City Schools. Parent mentors are parents of children with disabilities. Marietta City Schools’ parent-mentor program helps provide parents of students with disabilities information, guidance, and resources to support students at home, at school, and in their communities. Each school year, we offer parent training and informational sessions about topics important to students with disabilities and their families. We collaborate with school administrators and teachers, supporting educators in their efforts to help families and students plan for and achieve their educational and post-secondary goals.
What Does a Parent Mentor Do?
- Promotes partnership between parents, educators, and the community
- Guides parents through the special education process
- Provides confidential support for parental concerns and questions
- Supplies information on special education services and procedures offered in our school system
- Provides a parent’s perspective to educators
- Provides information about resources available in our community and state
When Should I Call a Parent Mentor?
- If you have questions regarding the special education process
- If you need to talk confidentially with another parent about your concerns
- If you need information about community services that can assist you and your child
- If you want to become more involved with your child’s educational success and transition after completing school
My name is Emily Moore, and I am the parent mentor for Marietta City Schools. This is my seventh year in education. I was a special education teacher while living in Virginia and have experience working in a preschool classroom. As a parent of a child with a disability, I understand the challenges that can arise on a daily basis. I hope to be a point of contact for connecting you with school and community-based tools and resources to support the specific needs of your child. Our goal is to make sure your child reaches his or her fullest potential.
New - Georgia Department of Special Education Parent Survey Now Open
Click here for a flyer with information about the survey. | Español
Click here to go directly to the survey.
Parent to Parent of Georgia
Parent Mentor Partnership
Georgia Department of Education
The Georgia Advocacy Office
Georgia Council on Developmental Disabilities
Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (GDBHDD)
FOCUS (Families of Children Under Stress)
Special Needs Cobb
MCS Transportation/District Success