IB at Sawyer Road Elementary:
The International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme (PYP) at Sawyer Road Elementary educates the whole child by providing a comprehensive, inquiry-based approach to teaching and learning. While incorporating local, state, and national curriculum requirements as well as the arts and world language, the PYP reaches beyond minimum standards to provide a rich, intensive education. All of the students at Sawyer Road Elementary receive IB PYP instruction.
Through IB, our students become internationally-minded thinkers and inquirers who ask questions and seek answers from a global perspective. IB helps all students develop a love for learning by nurturing their natural curiosity.
As IB learners, we strive to be: inquirers, knowledgeable, thinkers, communicators, principled, open-minded, caring, risk-takers, balanced, and reflective. These IB learner profiles represent 10 attributes valued by IB World Schools.
Sawyer Road Elementary will set high expectations and use inquiry-based real-world experiences to engage all students. Relationships built here will produce lifelong learners and global citizens.
To be a school where rigor, relevance, and relationships breed success.
Awards & Honors:
- 2021 Best of Cobb Favorite Local Products, Services, & Attractions
- 2020-2021 Marietta City Schools Teacher of the Year, Laura Floryance
- Authorized International Baccalaureate World School (IB World School)
- 2019 RAMP Award ASCA Model Program
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) Accredited
- 2019-2020 Hero Teacher Award, Kelsie Peters
- 2019 MCS Counselor of the Year, Carrie Woityra
- 2018-2019 Hero Teacher Award, Maggie Gilbert
- 2018-2019 Marietta City Schools Teacher of the Year, Kristen Lincoln
- 2018-2019 MCS Rose Wing Recipient, Deanna Land
- 2018 MCS Counselor of the Year, Margaret Burgess-Wright
- 2018-2019 MCS Customer Service Award
- 2017-2018 Hero Teacher Award, Heather Scott
- 2017-2018 Atlanta Braves Most Valuable Teacher awarded to Tanya Bradley
- 2017-2018 National Healthy Schools Award
- 2016-2017 Atlanta Braves Most Valuable Teacher awarded to Reginald Tahet
- 2016-2017 National Healthy Schools Award
- 2014-2015 Marietta City Schools Teacher of the Year, Katy Eason
- 2014-2015 Imagine Nation World Class School (Imagine Learning)
- 2011-2012 Marietta City Schools Teacher of the Year, Joanna Cox
- 2010 SRE profiled in Education Leaders Today Magazine
- 2010 Silver status for highest performance in student achievement,
and one of only 13 elementary schools statewide to receive a Greatest Gains –
Silver Award from the Governors Office of Student Achievement.
- 2009 SRE Students attend the People to People World Leadership Forum.
- 2008 Milken Award Winner, Susan Grigg-Graves
- 2008 Georgia Teacher of the Year, Emily Jennette
- Title I Distinguished School since 2007
- Sawyer Road Elementary opened in 2005
- Spoke-wheel design for increased school safety
- Secured Front entry door system w/ camera and intercom.
- Security camera’s in the hallway
- School grounds enclosed with fencing.
- Learning Commons and Maker Space for students
- STEAM Lab classroom “Starfish Exploratorium”
- Foreign Language Learning Center (Spanish)
- Gifted/Mile Program for eligible students
- Starfish Reef Student Incentive Room
- Observational Bee Hive
- Student-led School Store
- Student Garden
- Computers in the classroom
- Chromebooks, laptops and Ipad Carts: 1:1 (3-5th Grade) 2:1 (K-2nd Grade)
- Interactive Smartboards in all classrooms
- Art Room equipped with firing pottery kiln
- Music Room w/ keyboard lab
- Literacy Theater/Stage Classroom
- Performance stage
- Gymnasium with retractable bleachers and rock climbing wall.
- Two enclosed playgrounds and soccer field
- Central atrium called IB Pointe used for various school activities
- Closed-circuit television center
- Before School Care and After School Care Available
Students & Teachers:
- Student Enrollment: 600
- Average class size: 22 (*Not considering COVID-19 changes*)
- Number of teachers: 34 Classroom Teachers and 31 Support Teachers
- Gifted Certified Teachers: 37
- Number of AP’s: 2
- Number of Paraprofessionals: 11
- Two Fulltime Counselors
- Uniforms: Yes
- Standards-based classrooms which implement rigorous standards and The Georgia Standards of Excellence (GSE) for English Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies are in full effect and include content and skills necessary for student success. Click to read more about the GSE.
- Implementation of the Workshop Model to maximize instructional time in reading, English language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies.
- All students receive differentiated small group instruction to meet their specific learning needs – acceleration, extension, or intervention
- 50 minute daily Specials instruction in the areas of art, music, drama, and Spanish.
- Weekly STEAM experience in the STEAM Lab - “Starfish Exploratorium.”
- 60-90 minute weekly Physical Education instruction
- Each Semester students in 2 – 5th grade participate in Student Tutorial Enrichment Programs (STEP) and/or Clubs twice a week.
- Special Student Services: Gifted, Special Education, ESOL and, Response to Intervention (RTI).
- Teachers engage in high levels of professional development throughout the school year
The Governor's Office of Student Achievement Georgia School Grades Reports:
The Governor's Office of Student Achievement (GOSA) provides school reports for all public elementary, middle, and high schools in Georgia. These reports include A-F letter grades based on school performance and other useful information about the school, such as performance on statewide assessments, the make-up of the school’s student body, the graduation rate, and additional academic information
Click the link to view Sawyer Road Elementary's Report Card.