The Dual Language Immersion program at Dunleith provides students the unique opportunity to engage in academic activities in English and Spanish. Students spend 50% of their instructional day in each language. Our highly qualified teachers receive specialized training and support. Our School Governance Team works to dedicate an amount of yearly charter funds to help purchase high quality bilingual resources.
Benefits of DLI:
- Second Language Skills: DLI students achieve higher proficiency in the second language than with traditional Foreign Language instruction.
- Cognitive Skills: DLI students typically develop greater cognitive flexibility, demonstrating increased attention and memory, superior problem-solving skills as well as an enhanced understanding of their primary language.
- Performance on Standardized Tests: DLI students perform as well as or better than English-only students on standardized tests in English, including students from a range of socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds, as well as with diverse cognitive and linguistic abilities.
- Intercultural Competency: DLI students are more aware of and generally show more positive attitudes towards other cultures and an appreciation of other people.
- Long-Term Benefits: DLI students are better prepared for the global community and job markets in the 21st century.
- Higher Attendance-Rates and Fewer Drop-Outs: Students from DLI programs have higher attendance rates and lower drop-out rates compared to regular programs.