The mission of the Sawyer Road Elementary Library Media Center Program is to promote effective use of information and resources, to instill an enthusiasm for and enjoyment of reading, and to produce lifelong learners with a global perspective. This mission is accomplished by:
- providing intellectual and physical access to print and non-print resources
- collaborating with other educators to use all types of library materials and equipment that contribute to instruction
- encouraging students to cultivate an interest in reading
- library media center staff participating effectively as members of the school community
- assisting students in becoming skillful and discriminating users of print and non-print materials.
The Media Center follows the school schedule, normally 8:15 a.m. through 3:00 p.m. when school is open.
Students may keep library materials for two weeks. We do not charge overdue fines; however, any item that is lost or damaged must be paid for.
The library has 30 Chromebooks for student use. All library functions are fully automated, and students may use the automated system to locate materials in the library.
We participate in the Accelerated Reader Program, which is designed to encourage students to read at the appropriate level. Books that are too easy do not encourage growth, and books that are too difficult can cause frustration. The most productive level is in between: books that are pleasurable, but also challenging.
Miss Baker, Media Specialist
Ms. Lisa Mangum, Media Paraprofessional