After more than thirty years at Aviation Road, Marietta Middle School moved in 2002 to its current home at the historic former Marietta High School complex. Our facility includes:
- Two gymnasiums
- Enclosed Skywalk
- Band, Orchestra, and Choral rehearsal area
- Five Large Computer Labs
- Football Stadium
- Three Science Labs
- Separate 7th and 8th Grade wings
- Approximately 1,400 7th – 8th Grade students
Marietta Middle School’s colors are blue and white. Our mascot is the Blue Devil and our academic school year consists of four quarters that operate from August thru May.
Our PhilosophyToday, young adults function in a challenging, multicultural, and sometimes controversial world. A clear statement of philosophy is necessary to develop meaningful and relevant experiences for young people.
Middle school students have unique characteristics; they require a setting specifically designed to meet their academic, social, emotional, personal, and physical needs. Therefore, a comprehensive interdisciplinary program should be implemented to enable each young adult in the recognition and realization of his or her potential, in a cooperative, safe, caring environment.
Combining professional attitudes, instruction and modeling, all school staff will provide opportunities for students to achieve success, to develop high standards for social and personal conduct, to foster independence, and to become informed, responsible citizens.
The home, school, and community must share responsibility for providing the necessary support for social and personal development of young adults with the resources, encouragement, and open communication required to help achieve their goals.
Mission StatementThe Mission of Marietta Middle School is to:
- Make learning a priority everyday
- Meet or exceed expectations
- Succeed in the transition to high school and beyond
- Collaboration – collaborating among faculty and staff, students, parents, and the community to achieve common goals
- Honesty & Integrity – being truthful, fair and accountable for our actions
- Respect – showing consideration for the opinions, values, beliefs of others
- Commitment – being dedicated to the mission, values, and beliefs of MMS
- Celebration – enjoying and sharing the rewards of our success
- Pursuit of Excellence – taking pride in our work through reflection and continuous growth and improvement as educators
Belief StatementsWhat we believe about students:
- All students are valued
- Students will take responsibility for their actions and share responsibility for their learning
- All students must be empowered to make choices for their future.
- We believe that if students do not learn the way we teach, we must teach the way they learn.
- High and consistent expectations lead to increased performance.
- Quality teaching provides equity of learning opportunities
- The school must be safe and secure
- We believe that daily attendance is essential to the learning process
- The classroom must be conducive to learning
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Elementary/Middle Commission
Awards and Honors
- STEM Certification 2016
- Technology Student Association (TSA) named Top Ten Most Outstanding TSA Chapters in the State of Georgia, 2016
- STEM Magnet Program won 2016 Technology Association of Georgia (TAG) STEM Award-Middle School Division
- 2010, 2011, 2012 MCS Customer Service Award Winner
- Selected as a Metro Atlanta 6-12 Redesign School, 2006
- MMS Band receive three 1st-place finishes at All-Star Music Fest, 2005
- Eleven students recognized in 2005 by the Duke University Talent Program
- GEAR UP Grant, 2005
- 21st Century Community Learning Grant. 2004
- School made AYP and is not a Needs Improvement School
- Georgia Pay-for-Performance, 1998
- Recognized as a Five-Star Middle School in 1996
- 1987 Georgia School of Excellence
- Marietta, a suburban community within the Greater Metropolitan Atlanta Area, is the county seat of Cobb County, Georgia, with a population of 668,507.
- School District: Marietta City Schools
Teachers and Staff
- 22 Support personnel
- Number of teachers: 94
- Teacher to student ratio: 1:12
- Georgia State Teacher of the Year Finalist on staff
- 2003 Atlanta Journal and Constitution Honor Teacher Award
- Teachers equipped with laptops and accessible via email